At Lorain County Veterans Service Office, we strive to help veterans connect with benefits they have earned as a result of their unselfish sacrifice and service asked of them by our country. We are a county government agency and are funded by Lorain County taxes.
If you have the same professionalism as our staff of military veterans and share the same passion to help, please apply for any open positions that may be available. We are veterans helping other veterans.
While we are not currently hiring for drivers, we are always accepting resumes for future driver positions.
Lorain County Veterans Service Commission
1230 North Abbe Road
Elyria, Ohio 44035
Executive Director, Transportation Coordinator
Monday – Saturday 05:00 AM – 7:00 PM (Hours will depend upon need and subject to change as necessary)
$15.00 per hour during the probation period, based on experience, then $15.00 – $18.55 per hour after the probation period has ended.
General Job Information:
- Will be responsible for driving a county vehicle to pick up and drop off veterans at their medical appointments inside and outside Lorain County.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be approved by Lorain County to drive county vehicles.
- Vacation or sick time may be available with this position, and no medical insurance will be available. Compensation time will accrue when earned.
- Honorably discharged veterans will have preference.
Arrange with the Transportation Coordinator to maintain management of van riding personnel daily per Transportation Policy and Procedures of the Lorain County Veteran Service Commission. Hours of operation preferred are between the hours of 4:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (external factors such as number of veterans, traffic, weather, and departure times can affect the hours worked each day.)
- The driver must at all times be courteous to the riders, employees at the various clinics and always obey the traffic laws and regulations of the State of Ohio and Lorain County.
- Notify the Transportation Coordinator immediately of any no-shows on your schedule or problems with departure times.
- Deliver passengers to their appointments at the Wade Park VA Medical Facility, Parma VA Out-Patient Clinic, or Sheffield VA Out-Patient Clinic as determined by the schedule.
- Must be able to offer some assistance to veterans that may need help getting into the vehicles.
- Must be able to transport veterans properly who use wheelchairs if the need arises. Training for this will be coordinated through the Veterans Service Office.
- Drivers per instructions must do daily checks of vehicle condition and documentation.
- The cleanliness of the vehicles is the responsibility of the driver. Any mechanical or other problems beyond the driver’s abilities must be reported to the Transportation Coordinator immediately.
- The employee will be required to pass a pre-employment drug screening and be approved by the county risk management to operate county vehicles.
- The employee must be willing to submit to random drug screenings as required by the Transportation Coordinator or Executive Director.
Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned to this position at the discretion of the Executive Director. Activities defined in the above position description do not preclude or exempt the employee from performing other related or non-related duties as may be required to maintain an effectively functioning office.